01 April 2009

Rainbow City - cape town

28 Mar 09


Song for this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isH1yy8I_dc

It is a must to hear the song above!! :)

If South Africa is the rainbow natio then cape town is its flagship city. I am in awe as to all of the beautiful landspe, peope architechure, and history behind this place. I was smart to rent a car and had the luxury of cruisng around the city. Car had a jack for my ipod and i was ready t hit the town running before checking into my guest house. i figured, why now hit the high point first and headed to table mountian (little did I know that this was not the high for when i went sky diving my shute opened at the height of table mtn. I jumped higher than that and a free fall for 30 secs but I will get to that story later) Unfortunately, table mtn was closed due to high winds and it has been each time i go. I think it is just waiting for amy to arrive for the both of us to go.

I went on to drive down towards the cost and drove to the south towars the gardens. it is an amazing die and one that I will never forget. Every turn there is something new to see. Scenery transforming into soemthing diff before your eyes. About 4 km on the coast drive from the mountan i found my lil special place. A little drive off that over looks the mountain and coastal area. Lovely. With coldplay blasting I thought.. It is a perfect day!! (Dakin the ipod angels must love me!!) I was overwhelmed with happiness. More so than I have been in a while. Until teh next day when I went sky diving.

Cape town is extremely diverse. Lots of whites, blacks, coloured (like me) and indian and jewish and travelers from all over. Although small by NY and Chicago standards, it is uniquely unique. I immediately felt at home. It is a place filled with many things that I love - mountains like colorado, ocean like CA, wine and hills like san fran, diversity ike chicago or NY and beauty like ireland. In say 20 years or soe I think this city will be a forc to be recken with. It still needs the time to shake the shakles of apartied and cape town is a good example of how that is coming along. My guest house is charming and is run by christoph and urs who are from swisserland. They bought the house after the 1994 elections. The house is divine and they are great hosts. Very warm,, cozy and inviting plus it is in the heart of the city in my opinion.

Just nothing but goodness right now!! Will post more later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment