02 April 2009

Learning to Fly


30 Mar 09

Songs for this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjK6wNIWzts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FqA2WINPF4


One of the most exhilarating experiences of my life! I can't believe that I jumped out of an airplane today!!! It was all so fast I hardly can remember the exact thoughts I had but all i know is that it was completely brilliant!! Cant describe it really. I was a bit scared but they allowed no time for that really. When I arrived they started helping me into my jump suit saying that the plane was landing so we had to hurry. I still was in flip flops so i also had to get my tennis shoes on. (trainers as they would say). As they were pulling straps here and there on me they were quickly shouting the run down so I could hear over the plane sounds and other guys were quickly packing backpacks with chutes. (hope that one is not mine!! I thought). There was no long video instruction or history of the tandem rider.. just "run to the plane. Get in facing backwards." and then we were off. It is a 20 min ride to the top altitude... don't ask me what that was i just know it was higher than table mountain.

The next thing i know the plane door was opening and the air came in like a gust of opportunity. I had to put both feet out of the door on to a small launch pad with the guy on my back before we could get out. At this point it was the only point I was thinking why am I doing this!! Then without even a 1-2-3...Paul, the most experienced diver in all of SA leaped off of the plane - mind you I was attached to the front of his body so I leaped with him. 30 seconds of pure free fall came next. 25 seconds of which I was thinking " I can't believe I am up here and that I am actually falling from the sky. Finally, with 5 seconds left, I was able to absorb and digest what was happening. IT all went so fast. Then the chute came out - talk about a scare. Going from free fall to being slowed down and if you are not ready for it .. well let's just say it puts a new meaning on putting on the breaks. But then after it opened there was nothing but silence. It was really smooth sailing. I even was allowed to fly the parachute on my own. That was trippy. After 5 mins Paul shouted " Knees up" and then "Stand! Stand!" and I was on the sandy ground again barely could stand. I was so amazed, proud, excited and all I could think was ... I want to go again!! The best $150 I have ever EVER spent!! I will always remember SA as being the home where I learned to fly!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Might I just say that you are, certifiably, insane. :-) I wish I could WANT to do this, but sadly - I just can't imagine that I ever will. But good for you that you did.

    - A.Schnippel

    ReplyDelete