03 April 2009

american baby

3 april 09

Song for this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePD3aNoQAq0&feature=related


OK so.. I love this country.. but as I have been very honest in my previous post, I will continue to be. I want to paint a realistic picture and try not to just say how rosie things are. I will admit.. the landscape and most people are beautiful in this country but I find that there are some who are still very much holding on to the past.

Today I was in a coffee shop reading my Vanity Fair with Obama on the cover. The table behind me was a family that started in on the G20 summit and politics. The older grandpa was very loud so i could not help overhearing what they thought of the US and of our new president. They conversation was over the fact that Barak was our first black president but that he would not be elected as such if his mom was the one who was African. They mentioned that yes he is eloquent but that it probably would not be the case if the tables were turned. He went on further to say that America has more of an issue with race than does South Africa and that we are just now catching on. This is where I had to differ, however I elected not to jump into the conversation and instead put it into this blog.

I don't claim to be an expert at South African domestic affairs, but what I have witness so far is this:

1. The remains of Apartheid are still very prevalent here. Many of the "whites" (as they call them) very much have an air of domination and disdain to them towards "blacks" or "coloureds". There is a servant/master mentality that is hard to watch at times. I can see why many still probably consider themselves less than. I see waiters and waitresses just be demanded and commanded instead of asked for things. I see people clutch their purse in a nice shopping center while paying when a colored is behind them. I see people yelling at a sales person just because they can't find what they want.
Of course this is not everyone but I see it a lot and just really hard to see. I can't describe it but that it is very much a domination vibe.

2. Every EVERY black person that I have come in contact with has been more than friendly to me. Has treated me with kindness and respect and has been so happy! It has been a joy to get to know all of them and I want that to be said for I don't think they get the credit in other travel blogs that I have read.

3. The crime here is not what everyone makes it out to be- watch something will happen to me tonight now that I say that. (touch wood)

4. South Africa has a far way to go in terms of acceptance. Yes, this country had a black president first for the vast majority of its people are black. That had to happen to maintain a balance and well majority rules. However, as far as true acceptance and living as one unit - I have yet to see that. I think the old man was wrong today... the US is really accepting of all. Yes we have our groups that are not, but the vast majority is and if they are not.. at least most fake it. :)

I can say that I love it here but am very proud to be from America, and especially Chicago. We are friendly, kind, loving, FUN, talkative, bright, resilient, creative, accepting and happy people.
All things that many foreigners don't give us credit for. I just wanted to write this post to let you all know that I will be back home soon and although my time here was absolutely divine... it is very hard to compete with sweet home Chicago.


*** I am sure that this post may or may not sit well for many who are reading. I would love to hear your opinions. Feel free to post and we can make this more of a dialogue. Maybe I am missing something for again I am an outsider and just been a voyeur for 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment